1.26.2006

BAN THE BABIES

On Wednesday night I flew from Orlando to Newark on Jet Blue.

I've been flying in and out of Orlando for work for more than a decade. For millions of American kids, Orlando is home to Mickey Mouse and Grandma and Grandpa, so I know to expect children on these flights. But this was ridiculous. Half the people on the flight were under four years old. It was like a flying daycare center. I should have known something was up when the flight attendant made the following announcement:

Federal law prohits disabling, tampering with or destroying smoke detectors in the potty.

On my ticket, in the area marked meal service, it said "snack." And when Snack Time came the flight attendants came around with Animal Crackers and apple juice. Then they dimmed the cabin lights. I think that was Nap Time.

In addition, on Jet Blue, each seat has a personal video monitor with 32 channels of Direct TV satellite programming. These channels include Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, so you can watch Spongebob and Dora the Explorer for the entire flight.

You would think all this catering to single-digit-aged passengers would keep them happy, content and quiet for a two hour flight. But you would be wrong.

I was sitting in the fifth row, near the front of the plane. The crying started in the seat behind me, with a little blonde-haired girl. And then it spread across the aisle to her brother. Then, row by row another wailing voice would be added.

It was like doing the wave at a sold-out baseball game - only much louder.

Then the crying turned into screaming: long, deep, throaty, lusty, blood-curdling screaming. Once one of them screamed, all of them began screaming. It was like a symphony of shrieking. And they were all competing to see who could be the loudest.

I don't know about you but I feel strongly that, in these politically troubled times, the sound of human screaming on American airplane flights needs to be avoided at all costs.

A generation or two ago, Americans used to be able to smoke cigarettes on planes - even on short duration, domestic flights. But eventually enough people complained and smoking was banned.

It's time to do the same thing with babies. If you want to show off the new little human being you created to your parents in Florida, then fly Grandma and Grandpa to your house. A couple days in the cold isn't going to kill them.

I am not an angry, bitter, single New Yorker/baby-hater. I love babies. I'd like to have one of my own some day. I don't know when that day will come, but I do know one thing:

I'M NOT BRINGING MY BABY ON A PLANE! AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU!

Babies do not belong on planes. They don't want to be there - and the rest of us don't want them there either.


Ban the Babies!

6 Comments:

At 1/26/2006 07:52:00 PM, Blogger Nancy Kersey said...

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

nk

 
At 1/26/2006 09:02:00 PM, Anonymous missy said...

As long as we're banning babies, can we do it for movie theaters, too!!
P.s.-on an entirely different note, what's the deal with the word verification when posting comments? Anyone, Anyone?

 
At 4/21/2006 01:01:00 PM, Blogger Cruxley said...

Part of the problem is that their ears are a lot more sensitive to the pressure than ours are, especially for the ones who have chronic ear infections (like ours used to). So it's not only annoying to adults, it's really cruel to the kids.
(Sorry I missed 420...ah the good old days...maybe next year)

 
At 4/21/2006 01:24:00 PM, Blogger Will McKinley said...

Exactly my point! Babies do not belong on planes!!

Cruxley, you're pretty smart for a cat.

 
At 12/30/2006 10:04:00 AM, Anonymous ana said...

I agree with u 100%, we should pay more if babies are on board, you cant relax in a plane with all those little things crying. Also, what the point to travel with under 5s? They wont remember anything about the trip. Parents dont care about the rest of the passengers and we shouldnt care about their babies. Last time I was close to start shouting while the baby was crying to see if anyone could make me quiet, but i will do it next time. let's start the movement, ban the babies from planes!!!!

 
At 2/14/2010 06:15:00 AM, Blogger I LOVE YOU said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色,性愛

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home