4.16.2006

A VERY PREVIOUSLY OWNED EASTER

Happy Easter from South Florida!

On Saturday morning I had a 7:15 AM flight from JFK to Ft. Lauderdale, where my sister, brother-in-law and their two daughters live.

I had to arrive early in the day because there were Easter Eggs that needed coloring!

Will explains the fine art of Easter Egg Coloring to his nieces
(who shall remain nameless, for security purposes)


If you've ever colored Easter Eggs, you know it is a very complex procedure. The most important thing to remember is don't drop the egg. I cannot stress this enough.

Don't drop the egg!

You can't color an egg that has cracked, because the food coloring seeps through the shell and into the egg. Hard-boiled eggs are not the most appetizing thing in the world to begin with. But hard-boiled eggs that are green on the inside are even less appetizing - even if you are a fan of Dr. Seuss.
I do not like them here or there. I do not like them anywhere!

After a busy day of egg coloring, the girls took their baths and got ready for bed. But before she went to sleep, Niece #1 (age 7) decided that she wanted to write a letter to the Easter Bunny.

There's no "e" in bunny? Thanks Spell-check!

I find it fascinating that Niece #1 can describe to me, in intricate detail, the manner in which King Tut was mummified, yet she still believes that a giant rabbit hides hard-boiled eggs in her house on Easter Sunday. And that the giant rabbit can read.

If it's good enough for Santa, it's good enough for the Easter Bunny.

Of course my sister and I used to write notes to the Easter Bunny when we were kids, but we didn't have the same technology at our disposal. We used loose-leaf and a pencil. I think one year we used a crayon. No electricity was required for our notes to the Easter Bunny.

Note the correct use of punctuation in the salutation.

Here, in it's entirety, is Niece #1's note to the Easter Bunny (with my comments in CAPS):

Dear Easter bunny,

I think Easter is a great Holiday. Do you?
(RHETORICAL QUESTION, OBVIOUSLY)

My uncle in crazy (NOT TRUE, JUST OFF MY MEDS) and my Dad is a really good person with computers. (TRUE, BUT NOT SURE HOW IT'S APPLICABLE. MAYBE THE EASTER BUNNY NEEDS HELP WITH WINDOWS XP?)

I told you about them because they might be sleeping out there when you come to hide the eggs. So be careful! (GOOD POINT. I'M SLEEPING ON THE AIR MATTRESS IN THE LIVING ROOM AND I DON"T WANT TO GET TRAMPLED BY A GIANT BUNNY.)


Today we painted all 12 eggs each of us so that is a total of 24 eggs. Be careful not to break the eggs! (SOMEBODY WAS LISTENING) We already broke 3 eggs painting them. That is no big deal to us kids but I think it might be a lot to the adults. (OK, MAYBE I WENT A BIT OVERBOARD ON THIS)

Anyways here is a silly dilly Poem that I made up:
(EVERYBODY KNOWS BUNNIES LOVE POETRY)


"Fight"
(SHE'S 7 AND SHE KNOWS HOW TO PROPERLY USE QUOTATION MARKS)

Me and my best friend had a big fight,
and we got over it the next Saturday night.

So do you like it? If you do, write it here!
(NOT ONLY CAN THE EASTER BUNNY READ, HE CAN ALSO APPARENTLY WRITE.)


Love,

the ones who live here
(I DID NOT MAKE THIS UP. THIS IS HOW SHE ACTUALLY SIGNED IT.)


After everybody went to sleep, I asked my brother-in-law if he wanted help hiding the eggs. He said yes, so I went to the refrigerator and took out the two cartons of eggs that my nieces and I had spent the whole day coloring.

"What are you doing?" he said to me, as I began to hide the eggs.

"Hiding the Easter Eggs," I answered.

"We don't hide the real eggs," he replied. "We hide plastic ones filled with jelly beans."

I was speechless. How could they not hide the real eggs?! Dave explained that the eggs might rot. Well of course they rot! That's how you locate the hard-to-find ones, like two weeks later. That's the best part!

It's not like my nieces actually eat the hard-boiled eggs. They think they taste gross. So if you're not going to use them for hiding, what's the point? It's just one big photo op.

I believe in the sanctity of the Easter Egg! They should be painted, hidden and searched for - just like I used to do when I was a kid.

To use an Easter Egg for any other purpose, well, that's just wrong!

The Limited Edition previously owned Easter Egg. Order yours today!

Happy Easter everybody!

1 Comments:

At 4/16/2006 04:07:00 AM, Blogger Nancy Kersey said...

Great post.

Happy Easter to the ones that live there where you are visiting.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home